You can play about with some of the ingredients as I did. This recipe is a cobbled-together version of a couple of others I’ve found online.
It’s entirely up to you what nuts you want to use. I stuck with my faves of cashews and peanuts but you can literally use any kind. I blitzed mine for a minute or 2 in the food processor to chop them up nice and small. If you don’t have a food processor, a freezer bag and a rolling pin will do just as good a job!
The other ingredients can also be experimented with. For example, I used some cherries that I had dehydrated in mine but you can use raisins or any other dried fruit you fancy, just make sure it’s in nice small chunks. If you’re not a huge coconut fan, you could substitute the desiccated coconut for ground almonds or flaked almonds crushed up a bit smaller. Cinnamon could be subbed with nutmeg or ginger. Vanilla can be subbed with almond and you can use any kind of nut butter you have. The world’s your oyster as they say!
Anyway, here’s the recipe. Let me know how you get on and if you experiment with your ingredients. I’m always keen to try some new ones!
Easy no bake granola bars
- 2 cups any nuts you like. I used cashews and peanuts
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup any dried fruit you like. I used dried cherries
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup peanut butter. You can use any nut butter though
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (or almond)
- Mix together the nuts, coconut, cherries, salt and cinnamon
- In another bowl, mix together the peanut butter, honey, coconut oil and vanilla
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well until it is all combined
- Press into a tray. (I use a silicone one which is around 8 inches x 8 inches and 2 inches deep)
- Freeze for at least 2 hours
- Slice into your preferred portion size (no judgement here) and store in a box in the fridge or freezer